Every Groundhog Day, The Roxy celebrates what just might be the best Groundhog Day film of all time, Groundhog Day, with a comedy endurance test which only the most dedicated (masochistic) fan can pass. This year we're raising the bar and demanding our marathoners endure EIGHT (8) screenings, with 15-minute breaks in between each one. Your $40 grants you entry into the marathon, a sandwich from Bernice's Bakery, unlimited fountain drinks/tea/coffee, and a t-shirt designed by our friend Jack Metcalf. If you can make it through all 8 screenings, you'll win a special Groundhog Day Membership, which grants you free admission and free popcorn to any regular film screening at The Roxy for a year.
TICKETS GO ON SALE 6 AM ON JANUARY 18!
Showtimes start at:
This is always a fun-filled day, but there are a few rules to follow in order to complete the challenge. Being told by any Roxy employee that these rules have been violated will disqualify you from the competition.
1. All marathon participants must sign in at the theater no later than 8:30. After 8:30 no one can enter the marathon, and if you're not here for the sign-in, you forfeit your participation.
2. YOU MUST RECEIVE A PUNCH ON YOUR LANYARD AT THE END OF EACH SCREENING IN ORDER TO REMAIN ELIGIBLE.
3. All Roxy general rules apply, including those of general theater etiquette and the Roxy Cultural Statement.
4. NO SLEEPING. If you sleep, you're out. If you "rest your eyes" for a period of longer than five seconds, and we catch you doing it, you're out.
5. If you wake or rouse in any way another contestant you will both be eliminated.
6. No bathroom breaks during the screening.
7. No looking at your phone, talking on your phone, reading, game-playing, conversing, etc. during the screenings.
8. The theater will not accept any outside food deliveries.
9. During the break between films, participants may leave the Roxy Theater. You must be back in the theater when the Columbia logo appears on screen. You may exit the theater when the house lights turn on when the credits begin.
10. Screenings begin every two hours on the hour.
11. No outside food or beverages will be allowed in the theater.
12. Being told by any Roxy employee that these rules have been violated will disqualify you from the competition. If in the event that you have been disqualified from the marathon a Roxy staff member will ask you for your lanyard and this will signify that you have been disqualified.
13. By registering for this event your photo may be used in marketing and advertising of the Groundhog Day Marathon, including but not limited to Roxy social media, website, and any third party coverage.
14. If you complete the challenge you will take home a Roxy tee shirt and a Groundhog Day Membership which includes a year of free movies and popcorn. This membership is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash and may only be used by the winner.
Good luck, and remember:
When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But sitting here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, we couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.